Revisiting Venice

Venice gonodoliere, OIl on Canvas, ©2011 Julie Galante
Venice gondoliere, oil on canvas, 40 x 50 cm, ©2011 Julie Galante.

If you follow this or my other blog, you’ll have an idea how much I love Italy. It seems unfair that a single country can contain so much wonderful food, art, and beauty. I find the combination irresistible. So it’s not so surprising that Italy keeps making appearances in my artwork. I am particularly fascinated with the way that old Italian buildings and towns manage to decay in a way that is so intensely visually appealing.

Venice is not one of my favorite cities to visit in Italy. I don’t dislike the place; I just think there are plenty of better destinations for experiencing the atmosphere (and cuisines) of the country. But Venice definitely excels at beautiful decay.

7 Responses to “Revisiting Venice”

1. Aubre says:

I love the way you call it beautiful decay. It’s true. My hubby and I are thinking about Italy this summer for our 10 year anniversary. Your portrait is beautiful.

ICLW 149

2. Henniemavis says:

The colors in this are a lovely combination. Nice work! I have never been to Venice but this makes me want to go :-)

3. BarbaraB says:

I love that phrase “exels at beautiful decay.” The perspective, color, and composition of your painting are all so nice. You want to go into the picture and around the bend with the gondolier.

4. Beautiful! I love the colors!

Thanks, all!

@Aubre – Italy sounds like a wonderful anniversary destination! It’s an awfully romantic place.

6. Lisa says:

Found your site through ICLW. Your work is absolutely stunning. :-)

7. Kristin says:

What a wonderful description of Venice…excelling at beautiful decay. It has been many years since I’ve been to Venice but, looking back, that description fits perfectly.

ICLW #36