Day 9: more leaves

autumn leaves painting
Autumn leaves on canvas, 20 x 20 cm, oil on canvas, ©2011 Julie Galante. [SOLD] Two leaf paintings are still available, here and here.

These leaf paintings have become almost meditative to make. This one is on canvas, whereas the first two were on canvas board. I wanted to see whether the technique (spreading on thick paint and then using the palette knife to sketch in the outlines and veins) would work as well on a soft surface. It worked out better than I expected.

I think this will be my last leaf painting for now. Time to look around for the next still life subject.

November is Art Every Day Month! I’ll be posting a new small painting here each and every day. After they have had time to dry (a couple weeks), the original paintings will also appear in my Etsy shop.

7 Responses to “Day 9: more leaves”

1. Gwen says:

It is beautiful. Your technique has paaid off…fun to experiment….yeah:)
    Gwen xx
    Gwen recently posted..the ambience of the past

2. Shonie says:

I love the leaves!! Autumn is my favorite season and this reflects it perfectly.
    Shonie recently posted..Art Every {3} Days

3. Carolyn Dube says:

Your leaves are so amazing! The details in the veins – wow!
    Carolyn Dube recently posted..Finger Painting

4. Gorgeous, gorgeous colors! Really enjoy this.
    xo
    lynn

5. Carol Samsel says:

Love Your leaves!!!1
    Carol Samsel recently posted..Art Everyday Month—Day 9 / Butterfly Effect

6. Eden Hunt says:

I am really loving all your leaf paintings. It might be an interesting study in color to paint the same handfull of leaves every few days as they dry out and change color. I love some of the more muted browns in this layout. I think we sometimes don’t give enough credit to the brown and dark leaves for letting the more spectacular colored ones really pop.
    Eden Hunt recently posted..More Art Every Day

Thank you all so much! I love the reception my leaves are getting.

@Eden – That’s a great idea. I have kept a couple leaves from the first painting and they are quite different now – in texture more than anything else. I love the forms they have taken on.