Little portraits

Small portrait - Scott

Almost all of the portraits I’ve painted over the years are life size or larger. I like being able to paint in details without using teeny tiny brushes (also, my hand’s not particularly steady).

Little self-portrait

But recently I got to wondering, could I paint smaller portraits? Do I lack the skill simply because I’ve never tried it? So I decided to challenge myself. The paintings in this post are all on 15 x 15 cm canvas board (6 x 6 inches). Not bad, I guess, but I think I could do better. So I’m going to keep experimenting with little portraits for a little while.

8 Responses to “Little portraits”

1. Kat says:

Those turned out great, if you ask me! I think it’s hard to switch over to a new format, you have to rethink and retrain your self. I’ve starting playing with square format in my photography right now, and it’s been challenging!

2. Miriam says:

Those look wonderful! I agree with Kat about moving to a new media. I’ve been toying with lomography which while it seems like it should be so similar to other photography formats, but isn’t really.

ICLW #61

Thanks, Kat and Miriam. Great that you are both challenging yourself creatively! I don’t even know what lomography is. I think I’ll have a google…

4. Mrs. Gamgee says:

I’m so un-artistic it’s sad, but those portraits look really good to me. I think it’s important to always keep challenging yourself. That’s the only way we can grow.

ICLW

5. Jenni says:

I think that the smaller format turned out very well. It’s hard to switch from something you’re used to, to something new, but that’s what makes us grow.

Jenni – ICLW #12

6. Wow- these are great. Love how you use the color in them.

7. nh says:

That’s good work…
    ICLW

Thanks, all! Your comments are so appreciated.