Day 8: the view down the street

Painting: the view down my street
The view down the street, 24 x 18 cm, oil on canvas, ©2011 Julie Galante. Original painting available on Etsy

This is an interpretation of the view I see if I stick my head out my studio window and look to the left. It’s not my usual style, but it was fun to paint.

I apologize for posting photos with so much glare on them. I’m having trouble figuring out the best way to photograph my wet paintings. Dry paintings I can move to spots without glare, but with the wet ones I’m worried about getting paint all over the apartment. Anyone have any tips?

November is Art Every Day Month! I’ll be posting a new small painting here each and every day. After they have had time to dry (a couple weeks), the original paintings will also appear in my Etsy shop.

9 Responses to “Day 8: the view down the street”

1. Gwen says:

In your painting you have a lovely contrast between the light and shady areas.
    I also feel there are things moving on the left, could that be traffic?
    I like this style of painting because it is honest and naive in a way.

Sometimes the glare in a wet painting can have interesting effects…(which I like).
    Gwen xx
    Gwen recently posted..Strange sky- finger painting-a light dragonfly

2. Lia says:

Yay, my street! I love those pastel coloured houses. I may just have to snap this one up from you : )
    Lia recently posted..Day 8 "Art Every Day Month" – Inspired by the floorboards (yes really!)

3. I like the simple lines of this painting and the colors are really fab. I always like architectural subjects. Visiting from AEDM
    Terrie: Creative Explorer recently posted..AEDM day 8 and texture tuesday

4. Serena says:

I LOVE the colours and simplicity of this one! I don’t really notice the glare to be honest but my suggestion would be to position the camera so you don’t see wet paint shine and also don’t use a flash.

Happy AEDM,
    Serena
    Serena recently posted..Day 8 – AEDM & Nablopomo – sketch & inspiration

5. Carol Samsel says:

Love the painting :0)
    Carol Samsel recently posted..Art Everyday Month—-Day 8

6. This is so lively and colorful.

Thank you all for your comments!

@Gwen – In reality it’s a line of cars parked by the side of the road, but no reason why they can’t be moving in the painting. :)

@Lia – Actually it’s my street (looking to the left out my window), but now you’ve inspired me to do a new painting of yours. :)