Day 3: a snowy day at the Christmas market

Christmas market at Chinese Tower Munich
A snowy day the the Christmas Market (Chinese Tower), 18 x 24 cm, oil on canvas, ©2011 Julie Galante. Original painting available in my Etsy shop.

I realize I’m fast forwarding a bit from yesterday’s autumn leaves, but I am so excited for Christmas market season I can hardly stand it. December is my favorite month of the year here in Munich. There are Christmas markets all over the city, clusters of little stands decorated with lights and pine branches. They sell hot mulled wine, roasted chestnuts, and other delicious things. Painting Christmas market scenes just makes me all the more eager for the season to start.

This particular Christmas market is held in the middle of the English Garden (Munich’s large city park) in an area that is a beer garden during the rest of the year. The round five-story wooden structure in the middle is known as the Chinese Tower.

November is Art Every Day Month! I’ll be posting a new small painting here each and every day. After they have had time to dry (a couple weeks), the original paintings will also appear in my Etsy shop.

10 Responses to “Day 3: a snowy day at the Christmas market”

1. Kelly says:

Gorgeous painting! I feel like I am amidst the bustle of market myself.
    Thanks for the virtual field trip :>
    Kelly recently posted..November 3rd

2. Ann says:

Munich sounds like a beautiful and interesting place to visit around Christmas. You’ve captured that feeling in your lovely painting!

3. Tracy says:

It’s delightful! I sure wish we had more markets like this. December is one of my favorite months too. :)
    Tracy recently posted..On the 3rd day of AEDM…

4. Jehanne says:

Beautiful painting!
    Jehanne recently posted..Thursday Art – Robis

5. Beautiful work…love the energy!
    Pop Art Minis – Joni recently posted..Day 3…Art Every Day…Fall Is A Most Owlsome Time of Year!

6. Carol says:

Awesome painting ~ Love your style ~ Looks like a fun place for Xmas shopping ~thanks, namaste, Carol (Share the Creative Journey) Happy CED ^_^
    Carol recently posted..FRECKLES

7. love it! I’m ready for the first Christmas market trip too!
    Michelle Stacey recently posted..My New Family

8. Carol Samsel says:

Beautiful painting! I’m starting to get into the Christmas spirit too.

9. This painting is beautiful… just what I imagine a northern hemisphere winter market to look like… here we have then wearing shorts and t-shirts… not quite the same atmosphere!!!
    Tracey Fletcher King recently posted..Introducing Phantom

10. I’m not usually into the whole Christmas countdown thing, but each year during AEDM when I see your xmas in Munich I start to get in the mood. I love the idea of strolling through a markt and having an old fashioned holiday time.
    Wendy Edsall-Kerwin recently posted..AEDM 2011 – The First Three Days